August 28, 2016
Finalists for Yarralumla brickworks site announced
The redevelopment of the old Canberra Brickworks site in Yarralumla is a step closer to taking shape with the ACT government shortlisting two possible proponents of the project.
Canberra’s Doma Group are contending for the development of the 16-hectare site. Their submissions were chosen from among five as part of a request for proposal. The preferred developer should be announced in early 2017.
Doma Group general manager of development Gavin Edgar said the company had put a lot of work into its submission, which combines repurposed heritage buildings and new dwellings within a master plan.
“There’s a number [of] innovative ideas about how to refurbish some important heritage features of the brickworks and respect historic significance to Canberra,” Mr Edgar said.
Mr Edgar said the company would be drawing on its prior precinct experience, which includes the Realm precinct and Governor Place in Barton, as well as five developments at the Kingston Foreshore.
In a Canberra first, the ACT Land Development Agency engaged a committee of stakeholders to develop a list of objectives guiding the future development of the brickworks site.
The objectives outlined by the committee included the restoration and conservation of the brickworks, diverse and sustainable housing options, and minimising the redevelopment’s impact on traffic, parking and privacy.
The original proposal for the development of the brickworks site was marred by a range of concerns from the National Capital Authority and the community, including the scale of the project and its environmental impact.
Inner South Canberra Community Council chairman Gary Kent previously described the government’s level of community engagement as “unprecedented”.
“It’s the first time to my knowledge the community has been involved at such an early stage,” he said.
Chief Minister Andrew Barr said the community representatives had provided advice as part of the assessment process, ensuring any work carried out on the site reflected “the expectations of the local and broader community”.
He said the two proposals chosen offered a range of dwelling types including detached houses, townhouses and apartments.
“The proposals provide two distinct solutions for the precinct to create a new Canberra destination with access to its industrial heritage,” Mr Barr said.
“The Brickworks development will renew this area, give a piece of our heritage back to the wider Canberra community and help increase the overall supply of homes in the ACT.”
Full article can be view here by Emma Kelly for The Canberra Times allhomes on 27th August 2016.